Diana, Groomer/ Breeder/ Animal Control
Experience:  Worked with dogs over 30 yrs/ Groomer/ Breeder/ Animal Control Officer/ Showing/ Hunt + Rescue

What does a cancerous tumor feel like in a dog My 10 year ...

Customer Question

What does a cancerous tumor feel like in a dog? My 10 year old black lab has a lump on the side of her belly. It's hard but it moves with the skin. When we took my other dog into the vet the vet said that if it doesn't grow fast then there should be nothing to worry about. It's grown a bit in the past few weeks and now she has a little bald spot on it. I'm really scared that it might be cancer, we just lost a dog to cancer 3 months ago and I can't deal with that again.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Diana replied 8 years ago.

As a long time breeder, former vet's assistant & animal control field officer I can tell you that you should have the sport looked at by your vet right away, although it sounds more like your dog may have an abscess rather than a tumor. The patch of missing fur might be leading to an eruption which would be painful and messy.

As you probably know, if it is cancer, early detection and treatment is better than waiting. If it turns out to be an abscess, your vet can manage it much more safely and clear it up faster than letting it mature on its own.

Let me know if you have more questions about this or please remember to click 'ACCEPT' if my answer is useful to you.