NancyH
NancyH, Dog Expert:Rescue, Train,Breed,Care
Experience:  30+ yrs dog home vet care & nursing, rescue, behavior&training, responsible show breeding, genetics
127115

my dog has a very swollen tongue which is impairing his ...

my dog has a very swollen tongue which is impairing his ability to eat and drink (though he is still very interested in doing both). symptoms started about a week ago as a thickening under the chin. Tongue so swollen, it's elevated and has a protruding mass of tissue from it on one side (yesterday on both sides). tonight his hips seemed to reflect a neurological disorder. there is a wild tokay gecko on my terrace outside; could a bite from this gecko be the cause? desperate for help.
Category: Dog
Expert:  NancyH replied 6 years ago.
I would suspect a possible tooth abscess or a salivary gland problem.
To help him drink you can squirt fluids in with a sports bottle just be sure to give him time to swallow.
If the spot is not open and draining you might if the vet OK's it use a warm damp compress where it was lanced to get it open and draining again to give him some comfort. Heat draws infection and stimulates circulation which may improve healing. Antibiotics for an infection may be a good choice.
If he likes to chew things he could have a splinter in under the tongue area causing this.
Tokays are very apt to bite and their bites do easily get infected so its a possibility this is an injury from that animal but if your dog has heavy fur around the head the teeth are less likely to get through that to damage skin.
Hope this helps you!
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to NancyH's Post: thank you for that info, i am concerned, though, whether the bite, if the cause is poisonous to dogs and whether special antibiotics are necessary because reptiles have so many bacteria? also, you didn't comment on the hip neuro issue--it appears as a wincing of back legs as though preparing to deficate, though clearly not trying to do so (tail tightly down and indoors). could this be a sign of poison or advanced infection from a bite? in 13 years--12 with hip dysplasia--ive never seen him do this. it repeated several times in the course of a couple minutes and seemed to be out of his control (i.e., not trying to wince or rest his legs, rather his legs being redirected...). thanks
Expert:  NancyH replied 6 years ago.
The lizards are not poisonous but infection could be causing neurological issues if his neck is being effected by the swelling and pressure on nerves. That could impact his rear.
I'd say he really doesn't feel well and if the antibiotics in use are not helping then he may need more or different meds or possibly even IV antibiotics.
Experience: 30+ yrs dog home vet care & nursing, rescue, behavior&training, responsible show breeding, genetics