NancyH
NancyH, Dog Expert:Rescue, Train,Breed,Care
Experience:  30+ yrs dog home vet care & nursing, rescue, behavior&training, responsible show breeding, genetics

How do I stop my one-year old yorkie from pooping inside

Customer Question

My one year old yorkie female has regressed in her housebreaking over the past two months and has been pooping in the house. Previously, she would go to the door, ring the hanging bell and wait for someone to let her out. But over the past two months, she will go to the front door usually, but if no one comes immediately to take her out, she poops on the floor. How do we stop this behavior?
Category: Dog
Expert:  NancyH replied 6 years ago.
You can go back to puppy regimen and keep her near you or confined.
You can try using a tether where she is leashed to you and cannot sneak off.
But you might want to have the vet do a health check up on her. Intestinal parasites can cause a dog to need to go suddenly and off schedule.
If she is not spayed hormonal changes can cause potty accidents too.
You may also want to consider her diet and if her food is high in fiber and bulk items such as grains changing to a better digested food may reduce her potty needs as there will be less waste for her to eliminate.
And if none of that sounds like it could work then you may want to consider setting up a doggy litter box or a potty pad tray and give her a legal spot to go when you can't hurry to the door for her.
Hope this helps you!
Experience: 30+ yrs dog home vet care & nursing, rescue, behavior&training, responsible show breeding, genetics
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
She is spayed; she eats science diet puppy small bites dry food, almost entirely. And her inside poops are quite solid, with no obvious indicia of parasites; wouldn't her stool be more loose if she had parasites? Given that the stools are hard, I don't see why she can't hold it in. I don't want to give her an area inside where she is encouraged to poop. Since I work from home, it's not like she has long to wait before I can get to her. What I need to retrain in her is the "holding it in concept." With those caveats any other suggestions?
Expert:  NancyH replied 6 years ago.
Hard stools do not mean she has no parasites.
Science diet is a pretty bad food made mostly of corn and may be your problem. Read the ingredients list to see how much grain is in it.
To retrain her tethering, crating, or using a baby gate to keep her near you, and going back to puppy basic training on housebreaking may be your best choice.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Our vet recommended science diet. What food would you recommend?
Expert:  NancyH replied 6 years ago.
There are lots of good ones on the market - vets often suggest science diet because they sell it and because the nutrition seminars given in college are given by the company that makes that food.
Blue Buffalo, Merrick, Innova, Eagle, Canidae, Wellness, Chicken Soup for the Dog Lover, Bil Jac Select, California Natural and this site can help you understand food differences
http://www.dogaware.com/dogfeeding.html
If you change foods do it slowly so as to not upset the dog's stomach.
Any good pet supply store (not the big chains) should have someone who can talk about foods with you.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I'll check with my Vet for potential medical issues, although I'm doubtful that they are the cause of the issue. Although I remain somewhat underwhelmed by your advice to fix the housebreaking problem, I do appreciate the food advice and will accept based on that advice.
Expert:  NancyH replied 6 years ago.
Sorry there is no magic pill to fix a housebreaking issue other than more training and making sure your dog's diet is a good one and the dog is not ill.
While unnattractive in general a good effort at training has the best results when modification of behavior is desired.
You didn't have to accept an answer you were not happy with. If you wanted more information I'd have been happy to work with you more.