NancyH, Dog Expert:Rescue, Train,Breed,Care
Experience:  30+ yrs dog home vet care & nursing, rescue, behavior&training, responsible show breeding, genetics

My dog has chest congestion. His breathing ...

My dog has chest congestion. His breathing sounds like rattling in his chest.
Category: Dog
Expert:  NancyH replied 8 years ago.
This could be due to an upper respiratory infection such as kennel cough or canine influenza or it might be due to pneumonia.
It could also be the dog has a fluid build up in the lung area due to a heart issue or pressure on the lungs from an enlarged heart.
With his age the safest thing is a vet exam to find out what is going on to see if he needs antibiotics, cough meds, heart meds, a diuretic to help him get rid of fluids etc.
You may find bringing him in a steamy bathroom will ease his breathing some but I'd plan a vet visit for your senior dog.
If your dog has gums or tongue that look white, blue, gray or yellow tinted where they are normally pink, has a slow color refill if you press on a pink area of gum or tongue, or is becoming lethargic and non responsive to you then I'd get the dog in to see an emergency vet if one is available in your area.
Hope this helps you!