Dr. Smith
Dr. Smith, Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian in Small Animal Practice for 13 years
2410912

what could cause my dogs eye to twitch and cause squinting ...

what could cause my dogs eye to twitch and cause squinting and twiching. the eye ball is not swollen but the surrounding tissues are
Category: Dog
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Relist: No answer yet.
Can somone out there help with an answer.
Thanks for any advice.
Expert:  ChristineLVT replied 6 years ago.

Hello-

When did you first notice this on your dog? Is it one eye only? Any discharge from the eye? If so, what color? Any chance of injury?

Christine

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I noticed it back in Nov.07 It's only the left eye. There is some discharge from the eye, but no more from this eye than the other. The eye lid on the top and the bottom is swollen but more on the upper. Been treating the eye with gentocin and liquid tears. Warm compresses seem to help and calm the eye twiching down.
Expert:  Dr. Smith replied 6 years ago.

Hello Seamus, Laughing

Constant squinting/twitching of just one eye with irritation and inflammation of the eyelids is usually indicative of a microtrauma to the surface of the cornea. In many breeds of dogs, conditions occur where hairs may grow at abnormal angles from the eyelids and actually cause trauma and irritation to the eye over time. This condition, called Distichiasis, is difficult to see with the naked eye UNLESS you know what you are looking for and have a strong light source. In addition, a subtle in-rolling of the eyelids themselves can cause the same effect, and this is called Entropion.

For more information on Distichiasis and Entropion, please visit the following link:

http://www.animaleyecare.net/diseases/canine.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Distichiasis

With that said, if your pet has been experiencing these symptoms and you have been treating with gentocin and artificial tears with NO RESPONSE than it is definitely time to do a proper diagnostic workup.

Your vet should first re-examine the eye and closely assess the lids for possible distichiasis, entropion, or other defect ( tumor, foreign body, etc), that could be causing these symptoms.

Second, a fluroescin eye stain should be done of the affected eye to determine if there is any notable damage to the surface of the cornea, called corneal ulcers. A negative eye stain is always a good thing! If it is +, than there is most likely an anatomic reason or traumatic reason for the condition that your pet has at this time.

It is also imperative that a Schirmer Tear Test be done to insure that your pet has the natural ability to make enough tears on it's own.

If indicated, your vet may also want to measure the pressure in your pet's eyes to be sure that your pet is not developing some of the early warning signs of Glaucoma which is common across many breeds and can be devastating to manage if not caught early on!

Based on these basic diagnostics, your vet should be able to ascertain what may be going on. At that time, your vet may consider a different therapy, change in ophthalmic antibiotics, further testing, or referral to a board certified veterinary ophthalmologist.

Regardless, I don't take sore eyes lightly. Both you and I would be beside ourselves if we had sore eyelids for a few days......to go months in discomfort is unnecessary in today's world of modern veterinary medicine!! You were very wise to seek further counsel on this issue on behalf of your loved pet, I hope you will take to heart my recommendations and schedule a recheck exam as soon as possible!!

A chronic eye infection must also be considered.......your pet may need to be on oral, systemic antibiotics and different eye meds than what you are using!!

I hope that you found this information helpful.

Please remember to PRESS ACCEPT so that I can be compensated for my time and professional recommendations concerning your pet.

I encourage feedback and appreciate any size bonusSmile!! Please feel welcome to contact me at JustAnswer anytime in the future when you have concerns or questions about your pet's healthcare needs!!
Best wishes to you and your pet,

Dr . Jodi Lynn Smith

Dr. Smith, Veterinarian
Experience: Veterinarian in Small Animal Practice for 13 years