Gina
Gina, Breeder and Health Care Specialist
Experience:  20+ years experience in animal health care. Hobby breeder of Olde English Mastiffs and owned by an English Bulldog.
673497

My Cane Corso Duke is now about 27 weeks old 6 months and 3 ...

My Cane Corso Duke is now about 27 weeks old 6 months and 3 weeks. He's 70lbs. I was wondering how much growth to expect out of him after 7 months and how big he'll get. He also loves to eat wood. I mean loves it! Problem is it gives him the runs or at least thats what i think it is. I had him at the vet because he gets the runs alot and has a dry nose all the time, but they said he was in good health and his stool had no parasites. Is eating the sticks and wood chips giving him the runs?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Gina replied 8 years ago.

Hi Joey:

This is such an amazing breed. They have the potential to reach 120 lbs but most of that should be put on as they mature in the form of muscle. Make sure he is steadily gaining weight...not too fast, as this can lead to hip problems ;) Do try to deter him from eating wood...this could be the cause of his diarrhea but it can also lead to an obstruction or damage to his GI tract. He may be having a reaction to an ingredient in his dog food causing the tummy issues. You can try Eagle Pack Holistics Duck and Oatmeal and see how he does on that. :) My English Mastiffs do wonderfully on it. Good luck with your boy :)

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Gina's Post: I appriciate your help, but how big do you think he'll be and how much does this breed grow after 7 months. Is there still alot of growth or should it slow down substantially? I enjoy big dogs and I know this breed grows until about 18 months, but I would assume that most growth is done by 1 year. I do try to keep him from the wood, but for whatever reason he loves it! I do try to keep him away from it though.
Expert:  Gina replied 8 years ago.
From the weight he is at now, I am thinking that he will hit about 110 when he is full grown. This breed can grow until they are mature at 2 years old but it really really slows down after a year's age. Slow and steady is what you want :) When he goes for wood, redirect him to something a million times better...like a stuffed kong or bully stick. :) This will keep his mouth and mind occupied. :) Hope that helps you further :)