Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant
Experience:  Service/assistance dog training/ behavior /obedience/Therapy dog Evaluator/AKC Evaluator

My dog ate a rib bone and now has bloody stool and the ...

Customer Question

My dog ate a rib bone and now has bloody stool and the stool is definitely not solid. Will she be okay?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Sally G. replied 8 years ago.

Rib bones have a tendency to splinter so if there is blood in the stool the bone may have punctured the intestinal lining. Bones can also cause an obstruction of the bowel which will show a sudden lack of appetite, vomiting , diarrhea and lethargy. I would bring the dog to a vet as a blockage would need surgery, as well, an intestines puncture can put the dog into shock as it can send the fluid from the bowel into the system. Here is more on obstruction.