osupetdoc
osupetdoc, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Doctor of Veterinary Medicine; No online consultation can ever replace a veterinary examination.
8210616

my dog has hypoestrogenism is there any alternate treatment ...

Customer Question

my dog has hypoestrogenism is there any alternate treatment other than spaying
Category: Dog
Expert:  osupetdoc replied 9 years ago.
I'm assuming you mean hyperestrogenism as spaying is not the usual treatment for hypoestrogenism which is extremely rare. No, I'm not aware of any other treatment for hyperestrogenism other than removing the source of the problem.
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
sorry thats what i meant hyper. have you ever treated this before and if so what should i be aware of
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to osupetdoc's Post: sorry thats what i meant hyper. Have ever treated this and if so what should I be expecting.
Expert:  osupetdoc replied 9 years ago.
No, I haven't seen this before in my practice. It is much more common in unspayed females and almost all of the dogs in my practice are spayed. My understanding of the condition is it resolves very simply and completely once the source, usually the ovaries, is removed.