Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 18+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist

why cant my dog hold her poop

she is 10 years old. she is inside the house. she always goes outside to poop, but lately, she is walking and her poop comes out. this is happening all over the house. Can you tell me what may be happening to her.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 8 years ago.
Hi Hgarza,

Sometimes if a dog has had trauma to the rectal area such as continued anal gland issues, fecal incontinence will develop as a result of a loss of muscle tone in the sphincter. This can also be caused by an injury to the back or a problem with an invertebral disc. An intervertebral disc that has slipped or ruptured up into the spinal canal causes inflammation of the spinal cord, which in severe cases causes paralyses of the rear legs. You can read about this here:

It might also be a perineal hernia which you can read about here.

Large dog breeds sometimes suffer from a condition called degenerative myelopathy which can also cause problems with the rear legs and paralyses.   You can read about this here:

You may want to have your dog checked over by your vet as back issues are best treated early for the highest chance of successful treatment. I hope this information is helpful to you