Dr. K
Dr. K, Veterinarian
Experience:  13 years experience as Veterinarian
7189224

how long after a dewormer shot will a puppy be rid of

Customer Question

how long after a dewormer shot will a puppy be rid of the worms and is there anything i should be doing to help her?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. K replied 8 years ago.
HiCustomer
What type of worms is your puppy being treated for?
What medication was she given (it is not usually a shot, but an oral treatment--either liquid or pills).?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Well, i didnt know she had worms... i got her from a friend and took her to the vet the next day which was yesterday... When she deficated thats when i found out. The worms are very long and are of an off white kind of biege color
Expert:  Dr. K replied 8 years ago.
Okay, they are mostly roundworms or hookworms. Your vet would most likely treat this with an oral medication. In most cases, on treatment is enough to clear the infection, but many vets will repeat the treatment in two weeks to make sure the infection is completely gone. A follow-up stool sample should be submitted two weeks following the second treatment to make sure that the worms are gone.

You should talk to your vet about putting your puppy on a monthly heartworm preventative such as Heartgard or Interceptor, as these preventatives also work against intestinal parasites.

I hope that this information has been of help to you, and I wish you the best of luck with your new puppy. Please let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Dr. K
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
is this oral medication available over the counter?
Expert:  Dr. K replied 8 years ago.
Yes. You can get Nemex tabs for your dog at any well-stocked pet store.
The dosing information goes by weight and should be right on the label.
There are also websites that will sell dog dewormer. You need one with pyrantel pamoate in it.
Expert:  Dr. K replied 8 years ago.
Did your vet deworm your dog at her visit?
Dr. K
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
would they have this medication in a supermarket like pathmark?
Expert:  Dr. K replied 8 years ago.
No, I do not think that a supermarket will carry it. Most stores like Petco, and PetSmart will. However, if your vet gave your dog a dose of this dewormer at her visit yesterday, then you should not need any. I would just submit a sample of your dog's stool at your next visit for vaccinations...usually 3-4 weeks after the first set. Your vet will then determine if any follow-up treatment is necessary.