ask_me
ask_me, Obedience, breeding, showing
Experience:  Well versed in all things canine! Knowledgeable in breeding, training and showing
5181091

My dog has been sleeping a lot the past few days, does that ...

My dog has been sleeping a lot the past few days, does that mean he is sick?
Category: Dog
Expert:  ask_me replied 6 years ago.

To better help you:

How old is he?

Does he have any other symptoms (loss of appetite, loose stools, lethargic behavior)?

Thanks. -Robyn

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
hes 9 months old and he seems to be fine when hes not sleeping. and he eats. i just took him for a walk and all was fine. i mean hes a sheltie so of course he didnt wanna go to the end of our driveway but other than that he seems ok. i just dont wanna take him to the vet for no reason. i just dont know the tell tale signs of a dog that is sick. i mean i cant ask him. haha!
Expert:  ask_me replied 6 years ago.

Thanks for the additional information...if we could ask them it would make life so much easier wouldn't it Smile? It's good that he is acting normally when not sleeping, however if you are noticing that he seems to have a change in his sleep patterns (excessive) then a vets visit will be in order. Some endocrine disorders/thyroid problems can cause symptoms like this as can parasites, infections and nutritional problems. The best way to pin point this is to have him seen. Fortunately, all of the above mentioned issues are treated relatively easily. If you need any other information, let me know. I hope he's doing better soon. -Robyn

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply toCustomers Post: so do you think that i should wait a few days and if he is still sleeping a lot then i will take him to the vet? thanks for your help!
Expert:  ask_me replied 6 years ago.

No problem Any time that a change in behavior is seen, it's good to get in touch with your vet and let them know. If this is an infection or parastie issue, you'll want to treat it sooner then later. Additioanlly, blood sugar problems can result in hypoglycemia which can be dangerous. Consider giving your vet a call and letting them know what is going on. As they know your little ones history they'll be better able to let you know when an appointment should be made. I prefer to err on the side on caution and would see about having him seen. Shelties are a great breed and I hope yours is doing better soon. -Robyn

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply toCustomers Post: Ok thanks again Robyn, I love my sheltie and he is a great dog. Its funny cuz I just had him out side and now he is laying down again. So I dont know. I will take him to the vet at the end of the week to see what they think. Thanks! Have a good week and keep the good answers coming!!
Expert:  ask_me replied 6 years ago.

I hope he's feeling better soon! Consider giving the vet a call to fill them in on his condition. If he's having this kind of loss of energy, a vet visit will do him well. Keep us posted. -Robyn

ask_me, Obedience, breeding, showing
Experience: Well versed in all things canine! Knowledgeable in breeding, training and showing