NancyH
NancyH, Dog Expert:Rescue, Train,Breed,Care
Experience:  30+ yrs dog home vet care & nursing, rescue, behavior&training, responsible show breeding, genetics
127115

My dog ate 1/2 a gauze pad that was on her foot. Will ...

My dog ate 1/2 a gauze pad that was on her foot. Will this make her sick?
Category: Dog
Expert:  NancyH replied 8 years ago.
It might cause her some digestive upset. She might vomit it back up or have a little difficulty passing stool if it wads up in her system.
But if it was a standard size gauze pad given the size dog she is it should pass.
You can see if some high fiber food will help her pass it easily. A few spoons of one of the following - plain canned pumpkin, oatmeal, or sweet potato can bulk stool up and keep it moister than usual making it easier to pass through the system. There may be more urgency to go with the fiber added to the food.
I'd watch the stool over the next 24 to 36 hours watching for the fabric. You can bring a long a sports bottle of water to break the stool down to check it if you don't bag it normally. If you bag it usually you can check it for fibers then.
I'd watch out for abdominal pain, going off eating, difficulty in passing stool, or vomiting as sigs its not going through gracefully and vet help might be needed.
Hope this helps you!