Theresa
Theresa, A Voice for Your Pet
Experience:  19+ years experience in small animal medicine
1484153

My dog weight 45lbs and taking vetoryl 60mg every 3rd day.

Customer Question

My dog weight 45lbs and taking vetoryl 60mg every 3rd day. His clinal sign is good with the meds. that he is on. Should I lower the dosage to 10mg per day instead for 60mg every 3rd day?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Theresa replied 6 years ago.

I would wait until you repeat and ACTH stim test and potassium level before adjusting the dosage. If he is maintaining well now with no clinical signs then that means that the medication is working. Prematurely decreasing the dose could lead to undermedication and a return of symptoms. Your vet should be having him tested initially every 3 weeks which changes to every 3-6 months therafter. I am so please to see that more vets are using trilostane now in the treatment of Cushing's disease as this drug has the least amount of side effects then past drugs used.

Please let me know what you think about this plan.

Theresa

Theresa, A Voice for Your Pet
Experience: 19+ years experience in small animal medicine
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to Theresa's Post: My Vet just had the blood work done about 1mth ago. He recomended to lower the dosage to 15mg every day,but I just not sure about the change. may be we should do another blood work. Should the dog take vetoryl the day of blood work?
Expert:  Theresa replied 6 years ago.

Yes, I would consider rechecking the bloodwork at the current dosage you are using. If it is within normal limits then no change will be needed. Yes, he will need to take the medication as he normally does so if it would be his regular day off then it isn't necessary to give the medication. The blood can be drawn at any time as long as it is 4-6 hours after giving the medication. Stay on the same schedule don't give any unusual doses the day of the test. I sure hope this makes sense to you, please let me know if there is any confusion.

Theresa

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thank You for your quick respond. Yes, I understand all your answer. My vet is the one who stated that the blood work report showed very low ACTH level. That's why he think I should give him daily dose of 15mg(I do not know that we have 15mg of vetoryl)? I have 30 pills left of 60mg vetoryl and my dog is doing well. i just don't know what Ishould do?
Expert:  Theresa replied 6 years ago.

Are you from the US or England?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
US
Expert:  Theresa replied 6 years ago.

You should be able to get this product at doses of 15mg, 30mg, 60mg, and 120mg. You will most likely need to go through a compounding pharmacy to do so but it can be done. Since they are capsules you won't be able to decrease this yourself although I have known clients who have split them using a special scale to do so I don't recommend that.

Lets get the test done first. See where they levels are and then adjust from there if necessary.

Theresa

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
what you are saying is that I should repeat the blood work again before lower the dosages. what clinical sign to look for if he is overdose?
Expert:  Theresa replied 6 years ago.

He would show symptoms of addison's disease the reverse of Cushing's which is caused by too low of a cortisol level. These symptoms include decreased appetite, lethargy, weakness, and vomiting.

Theresa

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
thank You very much. He does not have those symtoms. He has been on the meds for 9mths now.