NancyH, Dog Expert:Rescue, Train,Breed,Care
Experience:  30+ yrs dog home vet care & nursing, rescue, behavior&training, responsible show breeding, genetics

Can dogs have bipolar disorder problems and what can be ...

Customer Question

Can dogs have bipolar disorder problems and what can be done to treat the problem?
Category: Dog
Expert:  NancyH replied 8 years ago.
Bipolar is a human issue.
If your dog is having issues with aggression and biting sometimes this is due to a medical issue so a health check up with perhaps a particular look at thyroid problems or tick carried diseases might be a good idea.
Many times corrections do not help with aggression issues as they just prove to the dog that it is right the object of its attention makes 'bad' things happen and so is bad itself.
You may find changing training techniques will work better.
If you would like to outline the behavior problem I can see if I can give you more help. Or you may want to read the articles found here on methods of working on aggression issues in dogs
Hope this helps you!