Terri Riba
Terri Riba, Healthcare Expert
Experience:  Expert in canine health and behavior. 20 years of experience with dogs

My two week old puppies have yellow watery diarrhea. I have ...

My two week old puppies have yellow watery diarrhea. I have also noticed two (there''s 8) have a slight running nose. The mother dog is a stray that was dumped (we live in the county). I don''t know her history, I know she was someones through since she is potty trained. I took her in because she was pregant and didn''t want her to have the puppies out in the cold. She ended up having to have a c-section. The vet said it was either that or we need to put her down. We don''t have much money and now I really worried there something wrong with the puppies and the cost of taking them to the vet. The vet told me to give her puppy food to eat. She is about 90% blue heeler and eats about 2-3 cans a day plus dry food. Do you thing her diet could effect her puppies watery stool? Please help!! Thank you!

Dear friend,

May God bless you for taking her in!

Was her stool tested for coccidia and giardia?

How is the stool in the other pups?

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I don't think they tested the mother stool. I never noticed her having diarrhea before she had the puppies. What is coccidia and giardia? I have her in our guest bedroom with a welping box for the puppies(I have three kids under 4 at home). The running yellow/red stools started about 4-5 days ago. They are 16 days old today. I don't know it all or just some of the puppies have the diarrhea. The mom (I named her Sadie) cleans up after them really well. I had been seeing yellow stains on the blankets I had in the box with the puppies. I had been changing them daily, then I started putting puppy pads in there and noticed all the stains of yellow. Sadie has been ripping them all up trying to clean it up, then I trying newspaper, same thing. I did see a fresh one and it was a redish color, I didn't see anything in it. Do you think I need to take all the puppies to the vet? Other then the stool the all seem fine, they all just opened there eyes and are trying to get out of thre box. Please let me know what you think.

Dear friend,

If the mommy has Coccidia or giardia she passed it on to the pups. However only the weaker ones may show symptoms.

These protozoan parasites run rampant in kennels and of course outdoors.They are very common in dogs and puppies.Most are born with them.A dog can harbor these parsites without problems till the immune system weakens and the they will take over the GI tract.

Metronidazole (flagyl) is scripted for these parasitesin the US . It must be given for ten straight days - the off a week and repeat another ten days.That is because the parasites shed cysts (eggs) that do not mature in a week hence the dog keeps becoming reinfected.

Because of this lack of shedding into every stool, three separate tests are required to rule it out or consider it cured..

Now that the babies are three weeks try a little human baby food with no onion.Add a tsp of infant rice cereal to every jar.

If you have bills here are agencies that will help pay them:

American Animal Hospital Association
" Through the AAHA Helping Pets Fund, veterinary care is possible for sick or injured pets even if they have been abandoned or if their owner is experiencing financial hardship."

Angels 4 Animals
"Our services range from financial aid to complete treatment
to those pets and pet owners in need."

Care Credit
A credit card company for health care, including veterinary care.
"With a comprehensive range of plan options, for
treatment or procedure fees from $1 to over $25,000, we offer a plan
and a low monthly payment to fit comfortably into almost every

Feline Veterinary Emergency Assistance (FVEAP)
"Seniors, People with disabilities, People who
have lost their job, Good Samaritans who rescue a cat or kitten - any of these folks may need financial assistance to save a beloved companion."

The Feline Veterinary Emergency Assistance Prog ram is a nonprofit 501
(c)(3) organization that provides financial assistance to cat and
kitten guardians who are unable to afford veterinary services to save
their companions when life-threatening illness or injury strikes.

God's Creatures Ministry
"This fund helps pay for veterinarian bills for those who need help."

"Our efforts focus on serving the elderly, the disabled, and the
working poor."

"We are dedicated to insure that no
companion animal has to be euthanized simply because their caretaker
is financially challenged."

The Pet Fund
"The Pet Fund is a registered 501(c)3 nonprofit association that
provides financial assistance to owners of domestic animals who need
urgent veterinary care."

The cheapest way to do this is just bring in one stool sample. Since the vet knows this is a rescue perhaps he will give you enough meds to treat everyone.

Please let me know the outcome.

May God bless you.

Warmest best wishes,