Vet Tech Amy
Vet Tech Amy, Certified Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Veterinary Technician 5 years, pet owner, 10 years in the animal field

Okay, my dog got into a fist sized bag of jelly beans and ...

Okay, my dog got into a fist sized bag of jelly beans and ate them She''s about 65 lbs and obviously not hungry at the moment. Anything I should wacth for? Is she destined to be constipated? Thanks.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Vet Tech Amy replied 8 years ago.
Did she eat the plastic bag too?

How long ago did this happen?

How is she acting now?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
As far as we can tell, a couple of hours ago. She did not eat the plastic bag or metal tie....just the beans. She seems okay but a little out of sorts (for a golden) she has a belly ache. Thanks
Thanks for the additional information,

Any change to the diet can cause an upset stomach particularly foods loaded with sugar. As long as she is drinking, you can try a few home care remedies to try to avoid a vet visit. First stop all food, treats and table food. I would feed her a diet of chicken and rice only (1/3 chicken, 2/3 rice- no spices no fat) to ease the stomach and help prevent/stop diarrhea. Chicken and rice is highly digestible and should not irritate the stomach. This can be fed over the next few days and slowly weaned onto a regular diet if she improves. I would also add some canned pumpkin (not spiced) 1 tablespoon per meal to bulk up the stools and calm the intestine. Pumpkin is a very safe natural remedy that will help regulate the digestive tract. It can be used for both diarrhea or soft stools and constipation.

The most important thing is to ensure that she is drinking well- it is very important that he remains hydrated. Offer room temperature water only as cold water can aggravate the stomach and induce vomiting.

Any time a dog eats something outside of their normal diet I would not be surprised to see vomiting or diarrhea. If she vomits. Withhold all food and water until 2-3 hours after she stops vomiting. At that time introduce water in very small (tablespoon amounts) waiting 30 minutes in between to ensure she keeps it down. You can also offer her small amounts of Pedialyte or Smart Water electrolyte solutions- also room temperature. This will help replace the electrolytes she loses in the vomiting. After keeping water down, food can be introduced 6-12 hours after vomiting- also in small potions waiting 30 minutes to ensure there is no vomiting.

If at any time she begins violently vomiting, becomes severely lethargic, strains to defecate without production, stomach becomes tight or distended, gums become pale, or has any additional symptoms, I would have her seen today. Otherwise, she should begin to improve over the next 12 hours with a complete recovery in 24-48 hours. If her symptoms persist or worsen, I would have her evaluated by a vet.

If you are concerned about the cost of treatment, you can look at the following websites for financing information/financial assistance.

Hope this helps. Please let me know if you need additional information.

Best wishes to you BOTH,

If I have answered your question in a satisfactory manner please press the Accept button. Positive feedback is appreciated. Thank-you!!!