Terri Riba
Terri Riba, Healthcare Expert
Experience:  Expert in canine health and behavior. 20 years of experience with dogs

My dog is shaking periodically, mostly at night or when he ...

Customer Question

My dog is shaking periodically, mostly at night or when he lays down. He is a miniater schnauzer and he''s 1 year old. He has puked a few times in the last few days too. This only started happening a few days ago and it seemed like it was only after I gave him a haircut. i haven''t changed his diet at all and there hasn''t been anything traumatic other than the haircut. I have another dog and they play fight a lot so I am wondering if that might have had anything to do with it too. I don''t want to take him to the vet unless I have to because it is so expensive, which I am sure is why this site exists. Thanks, Sean
Category: Dog
Expert:  Terri Riba replied 8 years ago.

Dear Sean,

I am sorry your boy is not feeling welll

Shaking can be due to pain, fear, nausea, stress, etc.

You can give him one mg of benedryl per lb of his weight.

He may have a bad tummy ache. I would pick up any dog food.Try a small amount of boiled chicken with all fat drained off, chop meat , or baby food with no onion, beef, turkey, etc

Dogs get dehydrated and hypoglycemic very easily.

Add unflavored pedialyte to his water 50/50 to hydrate him and balance his electrolytes.

Put a drop of pancake syrup on his tongue to raise his blood sugar in case he is a bit hypoglycemic. That should perk him up.

Keep him on that very light diet of boiled chicken or chop meat for 48 hours.

Also give him one teaspoon a day of plain yogurt to keep "good" bacteria in his system.

If he develops any abdominal pain, bloating, constipation or cannot keep anything down he needs to be seen by a vet.

Please let me know how he is doing. I will always be here for you

I hope your boy feels better very soon..

Best wishes,

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
terri, I usually feed my dogs in the morning and sometimes give them a snack in the evening. Is this why he is doing this? I don't wna to feed him too much because he is pretty small, but the puke was green so does that just mean he is hungry? He hasn't puked since then but is still shaking

'Small dogs get hypoglycemic very easily. Your baby should eat more than a morning meal and a snack at night. He may be getting acid reflux because his tummy is empty.

Try to feed him a small meal when you go to bed. add a half of a pepsid a/c tablet to prevent acid reflux.

If he is still shaking something may be hurting him or he may be nauseous.He coud also be hypoglycemic so try a drop of syrup in his mouth. You can try the pepsid now if he has not eaten breakfast yet.If you have any chicken or chop meat you can boil for him that will be much better than dog food.

Please let me know how he is doing

Best wishes,