Theresa
Theresa, A Voice for Your Pet
Experience:  19+ years experience in small animal medicine
1484153

my dogs gums are bleeding what do I do

Customer Question

he is a snchuazer about 11 years old and has bad teeth and gums
Category: Dog
Expert:  Theresa replied 6 years ago.

There is little you are going to be able to do today. If his gums or tongue are pale or white he should be seen by an emergency vet today. Otherwise if this is related to severe gingivitis and tooth infection he will need to see his vet tomorrow for antibiotics and to get him set up for a dental cleaning. He may have a few teeth that need to be removed but getting the tartar off of his teeth and out from under the gums will result in him feeling much better faster than just with antibiotics alone. Many pet owners do not realize the implications of poor dental health. Not only does this affect his teeth and gums but bacteria is able to gain access to his blood stream and can affect his heart, liver, kidney's and bladder as well. So, once his teeth are cleaned I would start keeping up on his teeth with every day or every other day brushing. Schnauzers are one of the more common breeds to develop severe teeth and gum issues. It comes with the breed. I wish there were more you could do but at this time and without a vet you will have to wait this out until you see your regular veterinarian. Again if his gums are pale or tongue is pale or white in color then he may have something more than just oral health issues that should not be taXXXXX XXXXXkely. He may have developed a clotting issue or has an immune mediated anemia that would need to be addressed as soon as possible.

Theresa

Theresa, A Voice for Your Pet
Experience: 19+ years experience in small animal medicine
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Hi thankyou for your advice I was very busy I am so sorry for taking so long my dog is doing o k I took him to the ER vet and then early this am I took him to his regular vet and they actually had to do a blood transfusion and is home resting well tonight he is going in the am to have his cleaning I just worry I hope he can make it thru cause he doe's have a infection and he is old so please say a prayer for my little guy cause he is my kid I have no kids so he is the world to me again thak you so much I will stay in touch
              sincerly
                      Pam smith
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
HI theresa
          this is pam I just wanted to let you know that they think my dog may have I M T A so they cannot do anything about his teeth untill they can figure out what else is going on he had to have a blood transfusion but he is still weak and not himself but that could be cause of the IMTA so I guess I will have a bigger vet bill than I thought but ty for all your advise
Expert:  Theresa replied 6 years ago.

I was worried about the Immune mediated anemia (IMHA). Once they get it all figured out and determine whether this is regenerative or not his treatment may not be too expensive. Hopefully, they have started him on steroids. Response should be seen within a couple of days if they have. He may or may not need to be on these long term but they also are not too expensive either. Testing after stable will decrease to every few weeks.

Good Luck, sorry about the diagnosis he has received.

Theresa

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
thankyou for your concern I hope he doesn't have it but he has some of the signs I will keep you posted on his updates if he has normal levals tommorow they will go ahead and do his dental work if not we will just have to continue with the predisone thankyou for everything
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
HI Thersa,
unfortunley we had to put our little guy down he just got worse so we took him to our er vet it was sad but I couldn't watch him suffer any longer thank you for all your advise have a good day