ChristineLVT
ChristineLVT, Certified Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Licensed veterinary technician (B.S. Mercy College), 10 yrs in animal medicine and training
4329681

My dogs eye is almost swollen shut and it is really

My dog''s eye is almost swollen shut and it is really red, I am wondering what I can do to prevent it from getting worse and make it better
Category: Dog
Expert:  ChristineLVT replied 6 years ago.

I'm sorry to hear about your dog‘s eye. If attempting to treat at home you want to be very careful first of all that the eye continually looks better through treatment, and no signs of rubbing at it, reddening worse, swelling worse or staying the same, or cloudiness appear in the eye.

You should rinse the eye with sterile saline, like that found in regular contact lens solution, and do not let the tip of the container touch the eye. Make sure it is not the disinfecting/storing type of contact lens solution, just the normal saline/ NaCl. You can wipe around the eye with the saline soaked on a soft cotton ball or gauze, but don't use anything harsh like paper towels. Try your best to gently but firmly open the eyes while rinsing; you may need a second set of hands.

You can also find an ophthalmic antibiotic ointment at a pharmacy: like terramycin, triple antibiotic (neo/poly/bac), etc. Ask the sales people if you need help, but it does need to be safe for the eye, not a topical one for skin. After rinsing the eyes, apply the ointment 3 times a day (every 8 hrs) for 10 to 14 days. It needs to go in the eye (not the tip, just the ointment)- do your best to open each eye and squirt just a 1/4" strip onto the outer eyeball, it will spread on its own.

This may be conjunctivitis, but could also be a scratch or ulcer forming and if not starting to clear up in a couple of days, you'll need a vet to check it. It is also very possible some debris or dust settled in your dog's eye, causing this problem. Going on for too long can cause more permanent damage, so don't wait too long for a vet appointment for a true diagnosis!

Best of luck, and let me know if I can help further.

Christine

Experience: Licensed veterinary technician (B.S. Mercy College), 10 yrs in animal medicine and training
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to ChristineLVT's Post: he is rubbing his eye with his extra claw on the side of his foot, and I taped over the foot, but i don't know if that is the right thing to do
A sock or something soft on the foot would be good, and I strongly suggest getting an e-collar from a pet supply store or your vet to prevent this, as he can do further damage to the eye by doing this. I know it's difficult, but for tonight see if you can get socks taped onto his feet.