Joan
Joan, Vet Tech
Experience:  Vet Tech for over 35+ years working w/Dogs/Rescues
5071285

Can you declaw a dog

My dog has toenails where the quik goes all the way out to the end. We walk him alot on rough surfaces to try to keep the nails at an acceptable length, but this is not working. Cutting his nails is very difficult as one always cuts into the quik. We have tried sanding. What can we do?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Joan replied 9 years ago.

Dogs cannot be declawed. In order to remove a cats claws they are actually cut at the first joint. In order to declaw a dog you would have to remove a toe from the dog. This would actually be extremelly painful as well as taking all the balance away from the dog. Your best bet is to have the nails cut by your Vet or a groomer with the expertise to get the nails done without injuring the dog. I want to let you know there is a natural product that has a calming effect on dogs called Rescue Remedy, which is made from Bach Flowers. This can be of use when cutting the dogs nails. It is topical and can calm the dog, so you can safely cut the nails at home if you choos to. If I can help you with further information please feel free to ask, since I want you to be 100% satisfied with my answer. Joan

http://www.naturalcanine.com/html/rescue_remedy.html

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to Jav917's Post: Thank-you for the answer. I'm going to take your advice. I already sent payment through PayPal. Peggy
Expert:  Joan replied 9 years ago.

Thank-you. I think the best thing to try if you choose to do the nails at home is the Rescue Remedy. If you feel doing the nail gets to be too much of a fight, the groomers and Vets charge about $5.00-$10.00 to professionally cut the nails. I wanted to let you know that even if you put up the deposit through Paypal, you do need hit the accept button for me to get paid for my work. Thank-you and I hope all will be well with your family and your furbaby. Joan