Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 18+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist
2361900

My dog is experiencing a brown colored discharge coming ...

My dog is experiencing a brown colored discharge coming from her vaginal and she is having a hard time having a bowel movement. What do you suggest may be the problem?
HiCustomer

When was her last heat cycle?
When was her last bowel movement?
Is she vomiting?
Any diarrhea recently?
Is she eating and drinking normally?
Any chance that she may be pregnant?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Her last heat cycle was about a month ago. Her last bowel movement was today but it was not very much and it kinda seemed like she had to strain. No she is not vomiting. Yes she is drinking and eating, more drinking than eating and she is very very slow about eating her food. And I also noticed that she is limping and moaning alot that is unusual.
HiCustomer

With a dark discharge from that area, I'd have her seen by a Vet to rule out a vaginal infection called Pyometra which generally occurs 60-70 days after a heat cycle but can occur earlier. It is usually seen in older unspayed females but can be seen in any age. It is diagnosed by ultrasound showing fluid in the uterus. There are two types of Pyometra (open and closed cervix) Symptoms of open cervix Pyometra are a vaginal discharge that may be pus or bloody, lethargy, anorexia, increased thirst and urination, vomiting and diarrhea, and abdominal swelling though the dog remains fairly healthy due to the infection draining from the body. Closed cervix Pyometra symptoms are the same without much of a discharge, they appear very ill, there is usually weight loss and abdominal swelling and is much more extreme. Dehydration, shock and death can occur if not treated aggressively.
http://petcare.suite101.com/article.cfm/pyometra

If she may have mated during her heat cycle, she may be having a miscarriage. That would also require a vet visit to have her checked over to prevent an infection.

I urge you to have your dog seen. If it is pyometra and you catch it early enough, spaying may not be necessary. I hope this information is helpful to you.