Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 18+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist

my dog has lots of sleep in her eyes lately.

are there drops i can use to prevent this? maybe something over the counter?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 8 years ago.

Is this discharge green or yellowish?
Is it a larger amount than normal?
Any bloodshot eyes or swollen tissue around the eye?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Jane Lefler's Post: Dear XXXXX,
It is quite green and definitely more than usual. Her eye's are a bit red but not very noticeable and not swollen at the moment. She spent the weekend away at a dog "camp" for the first time so I think she might have picked up something while she was there.

If the discharge is greenish, then there is an eye infection present. You can clean the pus off your dog's eye with a warm washcloth. You can also flush your dog's eye with sterile saline solution like contact lens wearer’s use.   Your vet will have to be consulted in order to get some medicine for your dog. Frequently an antibiotic eye drop is given for this condition. Sometimes Terramycin Ophthalmic Ointment is used for these problems.

You can read more about canine conjunctivitis here.

Canine conjunctivitis is a common eye problem. It can happen by itself or indicate an underlying problem. Finding the underlying problem can prevent future bouts with conjunctivitis. Underlying conditions that can cause conjunctivitis is KCS (dry eye, insufficient tear production, upper respiratory diseases such as kennel cough. Usually with respiratory infections there will also be coughing, sneezing, nasal discharge, fever, lethargy and loss of appetite. Conjunctivitis can also be cause by a foreign object in the eye or chronic irritation from a development problem of the eyelid and lashes where the lashes rub constantly against the cornea.

Her eyes might have been injured at day camp causing the discharge, or she may have caught an upper respiratory illness. I hope this information is helpful to you.