Heather M.
Heather M., Veterinary Technician
Experience:  I have 18 years experience as an E.R. vet tech in a very busy emergency facility for small animals.
2967420

dog: be shaved or it will begin to be a skin issue.

Customer Question

my dog is terrified of clippers,scissors, etc. She has to be shaved or it will begin to be a skin issue. what dose of klonopin can I give her safely at 20LB
Category: Dog
Expert:  Heather M. replied 8 years ago.

Hi there.

Klonopin is an anti-convulsant registered only for use in humans.

Its use in veterinary medicine is infrequent. Although it has been prescribed for use in dogs to control seizures or to aid in controlling anxiety..

However, fairly safe for humans, this drug brings with it some serious side affects when used in dogs.

Your dog neds to be examined by your Veterinarian. If your vet chose to prescribe this particular drug, he would likely suggest doing some blood work to ensure your dog has no underlying organ function problems. This particular drug is to be avoided if there is any existing liver disease especially.

There are in most cases some better choices in prescriptipn medicines for use in the treatment of anxiety in dogs. Talk to your veterinarian.

Hope this was helpful. Good luck.