Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 18+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist

can i breed half aunt to half nephew is that line breeding ...

can i breed half aunt to half nephew? is that line breeding or inbreeding?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 8 years ago.

What you are talking about is called inbreeding. Experienced breeders sometimes inbreed to fix an exceptional dog's breed traits in the subsequent puppies. However, while fixing desirable traits you also have a higher chance of having undesirable traits and health problems crop up as a result. This is due to having less of a genetic diversity and having a higher chance of getting a recessive gene for an undesirable trait from both the mom and the dad who were closely related. This relationship is not that close of a relationship and should be ok if the common ancestor has no health issues or faults.

It is recommended that if you plan on inbreeding that at least 3 generation of the pedigree be examined in great detail for health problems and undesirable breed traits.

I, as a breeder, do not recommend breeding closely related dogs by inexperienced breeders as it does introduce a higher chance of health problems and can result in smaller litter size, and weaker immune systems as well. I'd rather have the genetic diversity of 2 unrelated dogs and healthy puppies than potentially having puppies with breed faults or weakened immune system or other health problems.

I know this is probably not the answer you were looking for, but most breeders will agree with this opinion. If you’d like to read more in inbreeding here is a website with additional info.

I hope you find this information helpful.