Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 18+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist
2361900

My dog acts like she is hungry all of the time, she wakes ...

Customer Question

My dog acts like she is hungry all of the time, she wakes up earlier in the morning than usual for breakfast and just today was found eating her feces.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 8 years ago.
HiCustomer

Eating feces is called Coprophagia. Many dogs eat their own feces. Some eat any feces they find. Cat feces seem to be a favorite. No cause has been determined as to why dogs do this though some believe it may be a dietary deficiency while others believe it to be an obsessive compulsion disorder. If you are not feeding your dog a high quality dog food, you may wish to try switching foods. Some believe that if a dog is experiencing mal absorption problems the stool will smell like food and thus the dog eats it thinking it is food. Additionally, some dogs learn this behavior from their moms since they keep the den clean. As parasites are contracted frequently through feces, your dog should be tested for parasites. Blood tests can be run to rule out a medical cause. The best thing to do is try and curb your dog's tendency to do it.

Number one thing to do is to get the temptation out of the picture by removing feces out of the yard as soon as possible and keep it cleaned up. You can also put hot sauce or other pepper product on them so the dog finds then terrible tasting. There are over the counter products that you can give your dog daily to prevent this condition. They work in some cases and if it works for you, then it’s an easy solution. You can buy them at most pet stores. :

It will be harder to treat if your dog eats it’s own feces right after going. You will need to be with your dog when it is going and divert your dog away from it, praising your dog when it does not try and eat it. A firm “leave it” and correction should be said when he tries to eat it and comes in handy in the future for other items you do not want your dog eating.

You can read more about Coprophagia here.
http://publications.royalcanin.com/renvoie.asp?type=1&cid=126402&id=102470&com=3&animal=0&lang=2&session=1652593

I hope this helps you with this frustrating and all too common problem. Since an increase appetite with no weight gain could indicate diabetes, I would have your dog checked over by your vet. I hope this information is helpful to you.