Dr. Drew
Dr. Drew, Veterinarian
Experience:  Small Animal Medicine and Surgery

Are Christmas Cactus Plants Toxic to Dogs

No Comment Added
Christmas Cactus ingestion by dogs generally causes signs of gastrointestinal upset -- diarrhea, vomiting, sometimes blood in the diarrhea... It's not thought to have major effects on the kidneys, liver, or other major internal organs.

A lot of it is dose dependent -- How big of a dog, and how much was eaten... and how long ago did it happen.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
He didn't ingest much - just pulled leaves off the plant. I got to him before he had a chance to have a feast.
Sounds like you shouldn't have much to worry about, other than some possibility for vomiting or diarrhea. If either occurs for more than a couple of hours, I would recommend taking him to your veterinarian for evaluation.

Good Luck,