Dr. Marie
Dr. Marie, Veterinarian
Experience:  Compassionate licensed veterinarian with >20 years experience with cats, dogs and pocket pets
6877700

My dogs nose is all rough and dry, not soft, moist, and ...

My dogs nose is all rough and dry, not soft, moist, and smooth like my other dog. It is not getting any worse, but hasn''t improved, any ideas what it might be. Normal? Thanks!

Hi there and thanks for your question.

Every dog is different and this may or may not be something to worry about. Some dogs will have a mild condition called hyperkeratosis which causes rough skin over the end of the nose. It is often helped by applying either vitamin E cream or opening up a vitamin E capsule and applying the oil.

If there are ulcerations on the nose it could be a condition called discoid lupus or pemphigus...you can read more about this here:

http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=2470

http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=2202

Some Golden Retrievers can have rough skin along with a low thyroid level, so you may want to ask your vet about checking her thyroid level.

I hope this information helps! If you have more concerns, just hit reply. Or, if my answer is sufficient, then please hit accept. Thanks!

Dr. Marie.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Dr. Marie's Post: Any chance it could be from the cold? We play outside daily and even in a couple days a few weeks ago when it was below zero. That is when I really noticed it, but I'll try the vitamin E. If she likes it it won't hurt here I would assume? Thank you!

It certainly could be that it is rough because of the elements. I don't think it would be frostbite though...that usually effects ear tips and feet and tails.

The vitamin E is very very safe, so feel free to try it. If there is no improvement in a week or so it is probably a good idea to have a vet take a look

Hope that helps!
Dr. Marie.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Dr. Marie's Post: Thank you very much! This is awesome!!

You're very welcome! Have a great day!

Dr. Marie.