Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 18+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist
2361900

My dogs butthole is swollen very badly. At first I

Customer Question

My dog''s butthole is swollen very badly. At first I thought it was his anal glands but when I showed my groomer she said that it wasn''t and she thinks that he has carpet burn on his bottom from scooting. I just don''t think that this is the case. It looks too bad to just be rug burn. I''ve been putting meds on it but he keeps licking them off and knawing at the area. Is there anything I can do to relieve his discomfort and what do you think could be wrong?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 8 years ago.
HiCustomer

If your dog is dragging their behind on the ground or carpet and their anus area has a bad odor and swollen, it can be symptoms of an anal gland problem. You will want to check to see if your dog's anus is swollen. This may cause a dog to continue to lick the area.

The anal glands are 2 sacs on either side of the anus at about the 4' o'clock and 8 o'clock positions. If your dog is continually licking their anus and dragging it, it could also indicate that they are full. This problem can usually be resolved by emptying out the glands. To empty them or express them, you will want to cover the area with a tissue and press your finger on the dog's anal glands with an upward motion. A foul smelling liquid should come out. If nothing comes out and your dog appears to be in pain, you should take him to the Vet. Your vet can do this easily, as he is experienced at it.

Excellent site on anal glands
http://www.dr-dan.com/analsac.htm
http://www.thepetcenter.com/wai/analsacs.html

If no lump in area It could also be tapeworm infestation. Tapeworms release segments that exit the anus and spread tapeworm eggs into the environment. They can cause severe itching in some dogs. They can usually be seen in the stool and are small about 1/2 inch moving things. If the stool has dried, they look like rice in the stool or stuck in the hair around the anus. Drontal plus is also a prescription product and is used for the treatment of Tapeworms, though dewormers with praziquantel work well against tapeworms.
The last is allergic condition -- flea allergy being the most common allergy leading to itching around the base of the tail and rectal region.

Since the glands might now be infected, I'd have your vet look the area over so treatment can be started.

I hope you find this information helpful.