Joan
Joan, Vet Tech
Experience:  Vet Tech for over 35+ years working w/Dogs/Rescues
5071285

my dog has a swollen toe around the nail and although he ...

my dog has a swollen toe around the nail and although he is'nt limping its red and he's been licking it, i can't see anything like a cut and i'm not sure if i should contact my vet or carry on treating it myself with disinfectant
Category: Dog
Expert:  Joan replied 8 years ago.

This sounds like there may be an infection in the nail bed. You can try using a nice warm soak of Warm Water and Epsom Salts, the clean with Betadine and try some Neosporin. You can try this for a couple of days. If the swelling does not go down, you will need to have the Vet. look at it and get an antibiotic to help clear up the infection. Hopefully the Epsom salts soaks will help draw the inflammation out and clear the infection. Joan