Dr. Drew
Dr. Drew, Veterinarian
Experience:  Small Animal Medicine and Surgery
6340741

How cold (in Fahrenheit degrees) is it too cold

My dogs like to play outside even though it's only 28 degrees Fahrenheit this morning. Should I make them come in anyway?
What type of dogs are they (what breeds are they mixed with)? Are their coats long and fluffy, or very short and fine?

Thanks,
Drew
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
One is a short-haired heeler mix female (one year old); one is a short-haired male heeler, 9 months old; one is a male, very fluffy, part wheaten terrier mix, also 9 months old. What is the lowest temperature they should be allowed out to play in. They like to run around outside and play a LOT! I also have a distemper question to ask you next and will pay additionally for that answer. Thanks.
As long as you are supervising them, I would say that you can safely allow them to play in temperatures as low as 30 degrees or so, for maybe 15 minutes. I would be concerned about leaving them out there for any longer than that, as they will lost a lot of heat as they play. Dogs can, and often do, develop frostbite. IN colder temperatures, 5 minutes is about the maximum I'd allow. Of course, this can vary based on their degree of acclimation -- a very thick-coated dog that lives in a warm climate would still be cold when they first encounter 30 degree temperatures.

Good Luck,
Drew