Vet Tech Amy
Vet Tech Amy, Certified Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Veterinary Technician 5 years, pet owner, 10 years in the animal field
3769875

Is my dogs body shutting down

My 12 year old dog was diagnosed 2 month ago with an adrenal tumor. Since that time she is vomiting frequently, just bile, and now has very foul smelling frequent gas and diarhea.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Vet Tech Amy replied 8 years ago.
Is your dog currently being treated for the tumor?

If so, what medications is she on?

Is she eating and drinking?

How often is she vomiting?

Is she alert? active?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
She is not being treated for the tumor since they can't perform surgery on her.
Until a couple of days ago she was eating, but now she is slowing down.She is drinking water.
She was vomiting every morning, but now it's not every morning.
Yes she is alert, sleeps most of the time, but still plays at times with toys.
I am worried now about the foul smelling diarhea and gas. Even so she has diarhea, she does not like to expell it outside and only goes every 3 days. this is why I worry if her body is shutting down.
Thanks for the additional information,

As adrenal tumors run their course, life-threatening conditions such as diabetes, congestive heart failure, and liver or kidney failure can occur. Vomiting is certainly a symptom of the disease as is diarrhea. While it does mean that the disease is progressing, it does not mean she is necessarily at the point where her body is shutting down. The body will absorb more of her intake to use it as fuel for her body and will result in less amounts of feces. I would also have her bloodwork retested to ensure that there is not a complication resulting from the tumor (like the above mentioned) that can be managed to avoid the vomiting and diarrhea. The diarrhea can be draining to the body and the addition of an electrolyte solution such as Pedialyte or Smart Water may help replace some of what she is losing.

You can read more about her condition at the following websites:

http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body_adrenal_treatment.html

http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body_what_is_cushing_s_disease_.html

http://www.canismajor.com/dog/cushings.html

If you have not discussed the possibility of medication as treatment for her, I suggest doing so. While it cannot cure her, it certainly can help prolong a good quality of life for as long as possible.

Another thing to do is feed her in order to help her maintain nutritional requirements but to keep it easy on her digestive system. I would offer her some room temperature cooked chicken and rice (1/3 chicken, 2/3 rice) no spices! This is easily digested and will not further irritate the stomach. You can add 1-2 teaspoons of canned pumpkin (not spiced) to each meal to bulk up the stools and help calm the digestive tract this will help with any subsequent diarrhea.

It sounds like she is still happy and able to enjoy life which is wonderful. Unfortunately this disease does result in complications that will eventually make her not want to play. But for now, if she were mine, I would find out if she is a candidate for medications to see if it can prolong that.

If you are concerned about the cost of treatment, you can look at the following websites for financing information/financial assistance.

www.carecredit.com

www.imom.org

www.angels4animals.org

Hope this helps. Please let me know if you need additional information.

Best wishes to you BOTH,
Amy

_______________
If I have answered your question in a satisfactory manner please press the Accept button. Positive feedback is appreciated. Thank-you!!!