Cher, Dog Caregiver--Extensive Experience
Experience:  Extensive Experience Caring for Canines; Specializing in behavior and health concerns.

Extreme thirst, extreme urination, bloating, increased hunger

Customer Reply

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
No Comment Added
Expert:  Cher replied 8 years ago.

Most of the symptoms you describe are typical of hyperthyroidism, to which older dogs are prone.

The bloating is of concern, as it can indicate 'bloat', a condition in which the stomach twists inside, and causes extreme gas and pain. However, the symptoms may also indicate ingestion of a toxic or non-food substance.

Because your dog is being treated (or was recently treated) for a bladder infection, his current symptoms may be related.

It would be best to have your dog evaluated by the vet ASAP, for a definite diagnosis and treatment.
If he seems uncomfortable or in pain, please bring him to the ER vet now.

I hope he'll be fine!

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Cher's Post: I have done research and his symptoms appeared to be similar to cushings disease. My brother in law, a physician thinks it is diabetes. Any thoughts?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
i hope you will reply to my follow up questions
Expert:  Cher replied 8 years ago.
Hello again, and thanks for your accept. Yes, I will respond to your follow-up questions, if you give me a few minutes to type a detailed answer. Thanks!

Expert:  Cher replied 8 years ago.
Hello again,

Yes, the symptoms are also typical of Cushing's Disease, but the only verifiable diagnosis is through specific testing. Here is more information re: Cushing's:

Both diabetes and kidney failure carry increased thirst and urination as initial symptoms, but appetite is usually decreased, not increased, and there is no bloating. There are two kinds of diabetes possible in dogs: