Dr. K
Dr. K, Veterinarian
Experience:  11 years experience as Veterinarian

My dog is bleeding vaginally and she was spayed a few years ago.

Customer Reply

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
No Comment Added
Expert:  Dr. K replied 6 years ago.
HiCustomer
How old is your dog?
What breed is she?
Did she come to you spayed, or did you have her spayed at your veterinarian (or somewhere else)?
Has she every done this before?
For how long has she been bleeding from her vulva?
Is her vulva swollen moreso than usual?
Is she licking at the area alot?
Is she eating and drinking okay?
Is the discharge pure, frank red blood, or is it a mixture of blood and something else?

Dr. K
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to Dr. K's Post: She is a Golden Retreiver and she is 3 1/2years old. I've had her since birth. She was spayed when she was 2 by my vet. This is the first time this has happend. The bleeding is very red and she has been leaving little droplets of blood on the floor. This just started with in the last few hours. Her vulva area isn't swollen and she is not licking the area. She hasn't lost her appetite.
Expert:  Dr. K replied 6 years ago.
There are a number of different things that could be going on here. The most likely reason for the droplets of blood, is that she has a urinary tract infection and is squirting some bloody urine out. If this is the case, she would actually posture as if she is urinating outside, when the bloody drops appear. If the blood just seems to be dripping right out of the tip of her vulva (without her posturing to urinate), then it is not likely that this is her problem. If you think a UTI is the case, then she will need a trip into the vet tomorrow morning to have her urine checked and to be put on an antibiotic.
Another possibility is that she is coming into heat, because of an ovarian remnant. In some female dogs, if a spay is not done correctly a piece of the ovarian tissue can be left inside. This can secrete enough hormones to make the part of the uterus that is left, and the vagina have a normal heat reaction. This would result in diapedesis (the normal bleeding of a heat cycle--although sometimes lessened in intenisty) from the vulva. In some cases, this can also result in something called a stump pyometra. This is when the small pouch of uterus that is normally left after a spay becomes filled with infection. These dogs will usually drip a bloody/pus-like mixture from the vulva, will become febrile, lethargic and will usually lose their appetites. This is a medical emergency and often requires hospitalization, IV antibiotics and sometimes surgery.
Another possibility is that she has somehow sustained an injury to the area. Perhaps by hurting herself on a sharp branch or other object on the ground outside when she squatted to urinate.
I recommend that you start by taking a towel and gently applying some firm pressure to her vulva. If she does have a wound in the area, this will help it to stop bleeding. If the dripping of blood continues tonight, and she is not showing any signs of lethargy or vomiting, then you can wait until tomorrow to have her seen...but, I would not wait until Monday. She really should be evaluated for the pyometra and UTI as soon as possible. If the vet determines that these are not the case, then your regular vet can do bloodwork on Monday to determine if there may be an ovarian remnant left inisde of her from her spay. If this is the case, she will need another surgery to go in and remove this tissue.
I hope that this information is of help to you, and I wish you the best of luck with your dog. Please let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Dr. K
Dr. K, Veterinarian
Experience: 11 years experience as Veterinarian
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to Dr. K's Post: If there is a piece of her ovarian tissue left from her spay, would it take this long to show up? She was spayed over a year ago. I don't think she injured herself because there is no wound or redness and she doesn't seem to be sensitive in this area.
We don't have vets open on Sunday. If she has pyometra or UTI, will she start to loose her appitite? Could I try giving her some of my Bactrim (sulfa) and/or pyridium? This is what I take for chronic UTI. I'm just trying to help her in someway until I can get to a Vet and I don't want her to suffer. I know how much UTI's hurt.
Expert:  Dr. K replied 6 years ago.
No, do not give her any of your own medication.
If she does have pyometra, she may start to lose her appetite....she may not. Signs can be as little as just the dripping from the vulva, and as much as full out lethargy. The UTI may also cause her to lose her appetite and become lethargic, or she may just show signs of squatting frequently. Without a veterinarian check and urinalysis you really won't be able to take much further action. If you call your veterinarian's number on the weekend when he/she is closed, there should be instructions on the answering machine as to what to do when the office is closed at night and on Sunday. Most veterinarians carry a beeper for emergencies, or have the number of a local emergency clinic that is open when they are not. Any responsible veterinarian should know that animals do not get sick from 9 to 5 only.
As for the ovarian remnant syndrome, it is more likely that it would show up sooner following a spay, but it is not impossible for it to take this long. The only way to know if this is the problem, is to have her evaluated by the vet and have some blood tests done.

I hope that your dog is feeling better soon.

Dr. K
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thank you. She quit bleeding and my Vet called me today. I have an appointment Tuesday or sooner if she starts to bleed again. She told me exactly the same thing you did.

Nancy Helsel
Expert:  Dr. K replied 6 years ago.
I am glad that I could be of help. I hope that your dog stays well.

Dr. K