Dr. Drew
Dr. Drew, Veterinarian
Experience:  Small Animal Medicine and Surgery

My neutered male dog has lumps on the base of his penis ...

Customer Reply

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
My neutered male dog has lumps on the base of his penis that are there one second, and gone the next. I've noticed this a couple of times in the last couple of days, but honestly -- I don't regularly ck the area so I don't know if this has always occurred, and I just accidentally discovered it now, or if it is new. Maybe this is a totally normal thing; I don't know! Please advise?
Expert:  Dr. Drew replied 8 years ago.
Are you noticing the bumps when the penis is out of the "sheath" (is it pink?), or when it is in the sheath, and you are seeing the lumps through the skin?

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I've only felt the bumps "in sheath" -- and they are visable. I "bumped" into it when petting his leg yesterday morning and have checked it tactilely a couple of times since. First thing this a.m. I felt it and then felt again and they were gone. I'd say they were the size of half-walnuts on either side.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I should also say I haven't ever checked when its out of sheath; but he was neutered pretty young I think (he's a rescue), so its not often in the "out of sheath" state.
Expert:  Dr. Drew replied 8 years ago.
What you are feeling is most likely the normal "bulbs" at the base of the penis -- and they are usually able to be felt in neutered or intact male dogs. It's not anything to be concerned about as long as both sides are roughly the same, and not painful to the touch. In an intact male dog, these "bulbs" swell when he's mounting the female, to "lock" or "tie" them together.

If you have further questions, just ask!
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Whew! Thanks much!!
Expert:  Dr. Drew replied 8 years ago.
Glad to be of help :-)