Bully Breeder
Bully Breeder, Veterinary Assistant
Experience:  10 years breeding, 6 years in Veterinary medicine, Lifetime of Dog ownership
3569931

My dog eats pieces of twig, old branches etc. Why?

Customer Reply

Customer: replied 9 years ago.

My dog eats pieces of twig, old branches etc. He did this once and his whole gut got jammed. He was at Vets for two weeks getting cleared out. I changed his food He is now doing it again. After his first experience he had seizures. He is now medicated with Potassium Bromide but is very hyper.

Expert:  Bully Breeder replied 9 years ago.

There is no definite answer to why dogs do this. Some seem more prone to do it than others. Some people believe that it is a boredom thing while others believe it is a habit that is hard for them to break. Others still believe that it is a sign that they are lacking something in their diet. I would think that it could be the diet thing. If your dog is lacking ash in his food or other minerals then it could be the reason why he is eating sticks. The food that he is on may not be providing enough for him so he goes looking for it elsewhere. I would try and find a good quality hard food for him to try that is made of all natural ingredients and have trace minerals listed on the label. This may help him get through this however what you are doing right now with taking the sticks away and so forth may be your only option if the food does not help. Getting him some more toys as well that he can chew on and direct his attention form the sticks may be an answer as well. Dogs naturally like to chew so giving them appropriate things to chew on should help out as well.

Please be sure to let me know if you need anything else.

Customer: replied 9 years ago.

It is the same answer I get everywhere. I was trying to see if there is something I have missed.
His seizures started after he had his gut full of wood event.
The wood he eats is always old and rotten.

Seizures can be brought on by a number of things from low blood sugar, diabetes, poison,. bacteria, fungus etc. It could be possible that the wood that he is eating since it is old and rotten could have mold or a fungus in it that could be triggering the seizures as well. For some reason your baby like to try and eat the wood but it may be what could be causing the seizures as well. It is really hard to say for sure what causes them but this could be a good possibility of reasons. It could also be possible that he got so sick form the impaction that forced him to be hospitalized that it through his whole body off as well and is triggering the seizures. His metabolic system could have been damaged form medications he was given, the reaction his body had to the foreign material in his stomach, or the stress of the whole incident. I think the best and safest thing to do is to keep him form eating it any way possible at this point to see if this will help improve his seizure issues at all. Let me know if you need anything else.