Patricia
Patricia, Pet Consultant
Experience:  Several yrs. exp. with all types of pets, specializing in parrot care and behavior.
1035247

How can I excrete my dogs anal glands without taking him to ...

Customer Question

How can I excrete my dogs anal glands without taking him to the vet? I know it doesn''t take much.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Patricia replied 6 years ago.

Hello. To answer the last part of your question first, absolutely! We never expect someone to pay for an answer they are not happy with or they feel has not helped them. That's why we all do our very best to have happy, satisfied customers. In no way will I expect you to actually press the accept button until you are satisfied. Even though you have made deposit, I will not actually be paid for my time until you accept. Now for the glands. Yes, you can do this at home if you and the dog are up to it. It's not going to be a pleasant experience for either of you though. Also, whether it's advisable to do it at home depends on whether they are just mildly in need of expression or whether he has serious impaction, swelling, infection and or one about to possibly rupture. If they are that bad, then he needs vet attention, at least this time, or you could do far more harm than good. Because pictures are so much more helpful than words, especially in a procedure like this, I have several links to information, some of which have pictures to help you with the entire process. I would urge you to check them all out, decide if his glands are in a condition that requires vet intervention this time around and then decide if you are up to the task. This is likely to be a two person job in any case. Someone to help properly restrain your dog and someone to do the actual expressing. I hope this will be what you need but if not, just let me know. Good luck with it. Patricia

Click here: Anal Glands - structure, impact and expression Click here: Anal Sac Disease

Click here: How to Express Your Dog's Anal Sacs or Glands - Associated Content

Click here: How to Express Dog Anal Gland and Treat Infected Anal Glands in Dogs

Click here: Anal Sacs

Click here: Dog Anal Glands - LoveToKnow Dogs

Patricia, Pet Consultant
Experience: Several yrs. exp. with all types of pets, specializing in parrot care and behavior.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I will try this carefully, gently, and hopefully cleanly. hope it works. if so i will use just answer pets again. sincerelyCustomernbsp;  thank you
Expert:  Patricia replied 6 years ago.

You are most welcome. I'm glad I could help and we will be here if you ever need anything else. Thanks so much. Patricia