Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 18+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist

my female brindle is pregnant and she is breathing heavy ...

my female brindle is pregnant and she is breathing heavy and somewhat whinning but when I checked her temp she is still sitting at 101.3. Could she still be going into labor or is it to early with her temp where it is?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 8 years ago.
Hi Harleegirl,

The temperature drops below 99F within 24 hours of labor starting. This is due to hormonal changes associated with labor. So if her temperature has not dropped, then she is probably not in labor. You can read about this here:

There are three stages to labor. During the first stage the cervix dilates and contractions begin. Your female will be uncomfortable, restless, pace and pant. This lasts 6-18 hours. During the second part of labor, your female's contractions begin in ernest. Her water breaks and puppies are delivered usually after 10-30 minutes of pushing. All puppies are born during this stage. The third stage of labor is after all pups have been delivered and is when a dog still has small contractions to expell fluids and/or placentas from the uterus.
You can read more about this here:

Here is an excellent site about whelping.

Some other signs that my dogs always seem to exhibit are lack of appetite, frequent urination and frequent small, runny bowel movements in the day before labor starts. Frequently my dogs will start looking at their rears when the first real contractions start.

I hope you find this information helpful.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
what does it mean when the dog growls and wants to fight with another female dog in the house. During pregnancy
Hi Harleegirl,

Other dogs should be kept away from a female who is close to whelping (last week of pregnancy). During this time your female will want to nest in the area she has picked to have her puppies. She should have as stressless of an existance as possible. Other dogs around her or where she plans on having her pups is stressful and she will attack other dogs. This is part of maternal aggression. Dogs do this to protect themselves and their pups. So it is your job to have an area set aside where other dogs are not allowed in or near so she can whelp without having to worry about other animals. If you have two pregnant dogs, they will each need their own area.