Theresa
Theresa, A Voice for Your Pet
Experience:  19+ years experience in small animal medicine
1484153

My cat has pink liquid coming out with traces of blood.

Customer Question

I have a three year old female cat. There is a pink liquid coming out of her with traces of blood in it. She is not eating or drinking.   And feeling weak in general. Has been sleeping/resting the whole day. Yesterday night she was fine. She started to feel this way since this morning and now it is close to 6pm.   Could anyone help?

Thank you!
Category: Dog
Expert:  Theresa replied 9 years ago.

Where is this drainage coming from?

How old is she?

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to Theresa's Post: I believe the proper name is XXXXX XXXXX It is definetely not coming from the anus. She is 3 years old.

Any help is appreciated.
Expert:  Theresa replied 9 years ago.

Your girl has a pretty good urinary tract infection going on. From the sounds of it it may have been going on for a while now to cause symptoms such as weakness. I would highly highly recommend getting her into the emergency vet tonight to have this evaluated and get treatment started. They will probably also want to run bloodwork and take xrays of her abdomen. I would request a special diet that you can force feed her with and that they give her fluids under the skin to keep her welll hydrated.

Theresa

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to Theresa's Post: Theresa,

She was fine yesterday. She was jumping around, playful. She just started to feel this way this morning. Are you sure this is an infection? The liquid is not yellow.

What does a menstrual discharge looks like? Could it be her menstrual cycle?

Would you recommend any food that is available in the store that I could feed her myself?
Expert:  Theresa replied 9 years ago.

It is very rare to see blood from a cat that is in heat. If she isn't spayed you could also be looking at a pyometra. A severe life threatening uterine infection. The infection doesn't have to be yellow but blood tinged. And for a bladder infection you would see blood.

You can force feed her baby food / baby meats (no garlic or onion) but this isn't going to take care of the initial problem.

What color are her gums?

Theresa

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to Theresa's Post: Her gums are pink. Nothing out of ordinary. What should I be looking for?

Irine
Expert:  Theresa replied 9 years ago.

Inability to urinate, bloated stomach, high fever, increased respirations, panting, pale or white gums.

Is she howling like she is in eat? Back up onto things and shake her tail? arch her backend up in the air? A cat who is in heat doesn't just stop eating so I believe more is going on.

I believe your next step is to get a rectal temperature on her and I do suggest a trip to the vet tonight if at all possible for you.

Theresa

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to Theresa's Post: Unfortunately, I can't go to a vet. Everything is closed now. However I was able to make it just in time to a pet shop. Got some liquid food for cats and a digestive supplement along with some cat-baby food. She licked the baby food off of my finger but did not eat it from the bowl. However she ate liquid food very well.

I don't think she is in heat. Is cat being in heat same as cat menstruating?
Expert:  Theresa replied 9 years ago.

Yes, a cat in estrus is menstruating. I am glad that she is eating.

Theresa