Joan, Vet Tech
Experience:  Vet Tech for over 35+ years working w/Dogs/Rescues

my dog keep throwing up yellow bile he will not eat or drink

Customer Question

No Comment Added
Category: Dog
Expert:  Joan replied 8 years ago.

Is there any diarrhea?

Is the dog passing stool?

Could the dog have gotten into anything that could have been toxic?

Could the dog have eaten anything that could cause a blockage or gasto intestinal upset?

Has the dog had it's shots?

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
no stool and nothing toxic and he is always chewing his toys to pieces and yes he has had all his shots
Expert:  Joan replied 8 years ago.

You will need to keep an eye out to be sure that he is passing stool. The vomiting can be an indication of a blockage. Right now the yellow you are seeing is bile. I would like you to pick up the food for today. Offer plain water and Pedialyte for fluids. This needs to be done even if the dog does not want to drink. It will help prevent dehydration. You can give Pepto Bismol to see it it settles the stomach at one teaspoon full per 5 pounds of body weight every 6 hours for a total of two doses. If the vomiting settles, tomorrow you can start the dog on a bland diet of skinless chicken breast boiled with white rice, lowfat cottage cheese and a dollop of plain yogurt. Keep this bland diet up for about a week and then gradually start regular diet back by mixing in the food with the bland diet. If the vomiting is still going on tomorrow or things get worse, please do not hestitate to see the Vet. Joan

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
our dog is very shakey and not active at all
myself and the kids and family are all sick
we were just wondering if he could have gotten anything from us
Expert:  Joan replied 8 years ago.

The dog would not pick anything up from the family. If the dog is very shakey you can try giving a drop of Karo syrup or Honey on the tongue. This may help the balance of glucose in the system. Many times when a dog starts vomiting they have a drop of blood sugar and this may help perk your baby up. If this continues I would have the dog into the ER Vet since supportive care of IV fluids may be necessary. Joan