NancyH, Dog Expert:Rescue, Train,Breed,Care
Experience:  30+ yrs dog home vet care & nursing, rescue, behavior&training, responsible show breeding, genetics

is there a way to cover the scent of a female dog in heat

I am wondering if there is anything i can do to cover the scent of my female dog in heat?
You can reduce the aroma but not cover it and it is completely unsafe to leave her where any males may be able to reach her.
If you have a male in the home with her then using a deodorizer that takes scents out of the air can help reduce the male's crying. Nilodor Tap a Drop can work to help reduce the dog's crying so you can sleep some.
Or you can see if a friend or family member will take the male for a week or two during the most fertile part of her cycle.
Some people say chlorophyll tablets can help but you really have to start it 6 weeks before the heat cycle to see any help from them.
You can of course keep her washed off with a deodorizing shampoo which will help a little.
Alternatively spaying her will resolve the problem before the next heat cycle happens.
Hope this helps you!