NancyH
NancyH, Dog Expert:Rescue, Train,Breed,Care
Experience:  30+ yrs dog home vet care & nursing, rescue, behavior&training, responsible show breeding, genetics
127115

my dog ripped her entire nail out. She didnt ever ...

my dog ripped her entire nail out. She didn''t ever seem to be in pain. It happened 3 days ago. Right after it happened, I put iodine solution over the wound and I covered it. She still didn''t seem to be in too much discomfort. I took the wrap off of her foot to let it breath, there is still an open wound where her nail was... should I keep it wrapped? Is there anything else I should do??
Category: Dog
Expert:  NancyH replied 6 years ago.
The iodine is a good antiseptic to use.
Many people find that soaking the dogs foot in a solution of warm Epsom Salts, followed by cleaning with peroxide or betadine iodine solution, then drying the area and applying neosporin or triple antibiotic ointment helps the pad to heal.
For protecting the foot, a sock slid up over the leg can help.
You can put a folded feminine hygiene pad over the bottom of the foot as padding before putting the sock on over it. Peeling off the stick on tape for the pad will let it stay in position on the sock.
To hold the sock on you can run a circle of tape around the cuff part of the sock to help hold it up and on. If you have any vet wrap or paper tape, which won't stick to fur when you try to remove it, you can use that on the leg and down over the sock cuff.
If she appearst to have any infection see your vet for antibiotics.
If she loses another nail it may be due to a nailbed infection and again vet care is a good idea.
Hope this helps you!
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
How can I tell if there's an infection?
Expert:  NancyH replied 6 years ago.
I would expect you to see swelling, perhaps smell an infected odor, see redness, or perhaps pus in the nail area.
The dog will likely stop using the foot if it gets infected or walk on it only lightly.
Experience: 30+ yrs dog home vet care & nursing, rescue, behavior&training, responsible show breeding, genetics