Dr.Fiona, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years experience as a companion animal veterinarian in British Columbia, California and Ontario

Why does my dog pace at night and shows signs of ...

Customer Question

Why does my dog pace at night and shows signs of restlessness. It is not because she wants to go to the toilet or because there are any unfamiliar noises. She is a jack russel/collie cross breed and now 11 years old
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr.Fiona replied 8 years ago.

Hi Seema,

It really does sound a lot like Canine Cognitive Dysfunction (dementia). Night pacing is one of the classic signs of this. As it progresses, there may be other changes like confusion, disorientation and loss of house-training. It progresses slowly.

My own little dog, Sprite (shown in my avatar) had this. I started her on Anipryl and saw a marked improvement within a couple of weeks. I kept her on Anipryl for the remainder of her days, which was about 4 years. It is not cheap! But it made a huge improvement in her quality of life.

Here are some links with further information:

I hope that helps. If you found this answer helpful, please hit the "Accept" button. If you want further information, just let me know!