How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask NancyH Your Own Question
NancyH, Dog Expert:Rescue, Train,Breed,Care
Category: Dog
Satisfied Customers: 31958
Experience:  30+ yrs dog home vet care & nursing, rescue, behavior&training, responsible show breeding, genetics
Type Your Dog Question Here...
NancyH is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Is petroleum jelly poisonous to dogs ,Mine just ate 3.75 OZ

Customer Question

No Comment Added
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  NancyH replied 8 years ago.
It is not toxic but you are very apt to see diarrhea from the dog eating that much. It tends to 'lubricate' them all the way through so you may see tummy upset.
If this was not plain but had additives of other ingredients sometimes some of those are toxic. But if it was just plain petroleum jelly I'd watch for signs of pancreatic inflammation for having so much 'grease' in the system. You can read about that here
And I'd expect soft stools.
If he dogs get diarrhea a bland diet may help him get over it. I would suggest trying boiled chicken meat or hamburger with the fat drained off, mixed with really well cooked rice in a ratio of 1/3 meat to 2/3 rice to see if that works. It’s not a balanced diet but OK to use for a few meals while working on controlling digestive upset.
Or you can add a couple of spoons of plain canned pumpkin to his regular meal to increase fiber and help control diarrhea.
Hope this helps you!

Related Dog Questions