Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant
Experience:  Service/assistance dog training/ behavior /obedience/Therapy dog Evaluator/AKC Evaluator

We have a small Pomchi which we believe may be pregnant ...

Customer Question

We have a small Pomchi which we believe may be pregnant from our Eskimo Spitz. This was accidental as we keep her in the house away from out other dog. 2 things: how do you tell if a dog is pregnant? We noticed her nipples swelled a little bit and look more prominent. Also, we are concerned about her size and being able to birth dogs from the Spitz. Any help?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Sally G. replied 8 years ago.

Hi Royden,

I would be very concerned for the pomchi as the pups, if pregnant, may be too big to deliver normally and a C section may be needed. Dogs can go through a false pregnancy in the third stage of heat so it would be advised you have a sonogram done to confirm pregnancy and to see how big the pups are. I would plan ahead with your vet for a possible C section.

Here is more on pregnancy and signs. Keep in mind that dogs going through a false pregnancy will display the same signs.

c section: