NancyH
NancyH, Dog Expert:Rescue, Train,Breed,Care
Experience:  30+ yrs dog home vet care & nursing, rescue, behavior&training, responsible show breeding, genetics
127115

Why does my puppy run away and sometimes hide when I call him

My puppy is about 12 weeks old. I got him when he was 7 weeks old. I have never spanked him. He tends to run away and sometimes even hide when I call for him to come to me. I have an older dog and when I call her the puppy will follow her. But he usually does not come when I call him.
You may call your puppy and do something that to him seems like a punishment such as putting him in his crate, ending his outdoor play time, or leaving him home alone after getting him inside.
You can teach him to come on command by adding a word that means 'come to me I have something good for you' instead of just using his name.
Most people use the word 'come' as that command during training but you can also use a whistle.
Starting indoors put together a few small but yummy treats. Call your older dog and have her sit when she gets to you and give her a treat.
Call the pup even if he is close and use the 'come' command and have him sit for a treat. Touch his collar before he gets the reward.
Do this a few times until he has it figured out 'come' means 'its treat time'.
Out in the yard bring some treats with you. Call the pup to you using the command and again have him sit and touch his collar and give him a treat. Then send him back to play some more. That is the critical thing - don't make 'come' always be the end of fun play.
If he runs away when you call him then you run - not after him but away from him and call him to chase you. When he gets to you have him sit for a treat. Chasing him makes the game catch the puppy. Turning and getting him to chase you makes it catch the owner instead.
Hope this helps you!
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
So him running away from me is not from him being scared of me is it? Like I said I have never spanked him or really even yelled at him. When he is actually with me, he is very happy and playful, but it's just that when I call him to come to me, he runs away.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I got him from an animal shelter. But he was only 7 weeks old when I got him. I would not think that was old enough to have had a past of abuse or neglect and for him to remeber it.
No its not neglect or abuse - its the puppy being pretty smart.
In the pup's vie wits hey when you call me I get left alone inside or play time is done etc. Its as if you are saying to the puppy 'bad things are gonna happen' and that is what he thinks the name means.
Way more fun to play hide and seek or keep away and chase the puppy etc.
We sometimes teach things we don't mean to. 'Hurry up and come in as I need to go to work' is heard by a pup as 'you are going to be alone and bored without me all day if you come near me when I make that noise'.
Another good one many dogs learn is if they potty fast they go back inside for the day but if they hold it on their walk the walk gets longer. Pups aren't dumb they just aren't thinking about the situation the same way we are.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Thank you for your help. Hopefully it will be a success.
I think you will see a change. You might want to check out www.apdt.com and see if there are any puppy training classes using positive training methods in your area.
Thanks for the above accept!