NancyH, Dog Expert:Rescue, Train,Breed,Care
Experience:  30+ yrs dog home vet care & nursing, rescue, behavior&training, responsible show breeding, genetics

is canine menengitis contagious to other dogs

Customer Question

I have two chihuahua''s and a Lhasa.
I day care my sons chihuahua when he is working. His dog had a couple of seizures & was diagnosed, after blood tests, with menengitis. I am concerned about my 3 dogs having been exposed and want to know if they can catch menengitis from my sons dog. They share sleeping beds and toys when she is here.
Category: Dog
Expert:  NancyH replied 8 years ago.
The definition of meningitis is inflammation of the meninges, the layer of tissue that covers the brain and spinal cord. It can happen for a number of reasons.
If the vet said it was steroid responsive meningitis this is more of an immune system problem and is a common type of meningitis in dogs.
You can read about this scrolling down on this page
When its bacterial mengingitis the vet usually prescribes antibiotics as well as steroids.
Check and see what meds the Chi was put on.
The canine meningitis caused by bacteria or viruses isn't very contagious except for distemper causing it. Its not like the human type at all.
You can read more about this here
Hope this helps you!