Dr. K
Dr. K, Veterinarian
Experience:  13 years experience as Veterinarian
7189224

We found a long white worm in a puppies stool. What

We found a long white worm in a puppies stool. What type of worm is it, and can our other dogs get worms from this puppy?
HiCustomer
Long white worms in your puppies stool are usually roundworms or hookworms. They are very common in puppies and are transmissible from dog to dog. These diseases can also cause problems for people, so it is important that you wash your hands very well after handling your puppy, especially after picking up his stool. The good news is, that intestinal parasites are very easy to get rid of with appropriate deworming medication at your veterinarian's office. You should bring stool samples from both your puppy and your other dogs to check for what types of parasites may be present (as this may necessitate different types of medication). All of the dogs should be on a monthly heartworm preventative to prevent intestinal parasites as well.
I hope that this information is of help to you, and I wish you the best of luck with all of your dogs. Please let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Dr. K