Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 18+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist

my lhasa apso is pregant and she has started producing milk ...

my lhasa apso is pregant and she has started producing milk and has a clear discharge but she is only 6 weeks is this normal

Dogs will produce milk a week or two before delivery and a clear, mucousy discharge is normal as well at this point. There are three stages to labor. During the first stage the cervix dilates and contractions begin. Your female will be uncomfortable, restless, pace and pant. This lasts 6-18 hours. During the second part of labor, your female's contractions begin in ernest. Her water breaks and puppies are delivered usually after 10-30 minutes of pushing. All puppies are born during this stage. The third stage of labor is after all pups have been delivered and is when a dog still has small contractions to expell fluids and/or placentas from the uterus.

You can read more about this here:

A dog’s gestational period (pregnancy) is approximately 63 days from breeding. One way of knowing when your dog with have her puppies is to take her temperature twice daily at the same time each day as her due date gets close. Keep a record of this.

A dog’s normal temperature is between 101-102.5F degrees. Her temperature may rise and fall during this time, but once her temperature falls below 99 degrees, she should go into labor in the next 24 hours. The temperature drop is due to a reduction in serum progesterone levels and signals that the dog will start labor within 24 hours.

You can read about this at:

You may also notice her breasts swelling during this last week of pregnancy and some milk leakage. Dogs will usually become restless and increase their digging and nesting behavior during the last week. You will notice an increase in her panting as well as a mucous discharge. You may also notice some abdominal contractions or rippling as her time grows closer. Do not be surprised if your dog is very restless and vomits as few times during this last week.

Once your dog's temperature has dropped, please do not leave her alone in case of complications. As she enters actual labor you should be able to see her contractions and most dogs will begin looking at their hindquarters. An increase of licking of the genitals is normal before and during labor. Be sure and have an emergency Vet’s phone number readily available just in case of an emergency during the birthing of the puppies.

Here is an excellent site about whelping.

Some other signs that my dogs always seem to exhibit are lack of appetite, frequent urination and frequent small, runny bowel movements in the day before labor starts. Frequently my dogs will start looking at their rears when the first real contractions start.

I hope you find this information helpful.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
hi my lhasa apso is pregnant and got just over a week to go but all she is doing is sleeping she wont touch her food. We have a whelping box for her and she wont leave it and she keeps scratting at the blankets and peeing in her bed even thou we have paper down for her and she has access to outside
Hi passionforlhasa,

She sounds like she might be further along than you think. That sounds like the behavior they exhibit the day before delivery. You count from the first day of mating. If you are unsure of the date mating occurred count in about 9 days from start of heat cycle to get an idea. She sounds like she is getting real close. They can exhibit this behavior a few days before delivery but usually stop eating the day before and defecate frequently to clear their system. I'd start taking her temperature a couple of times a day to pinpoint delivery date.