Roxie, Veterinary Assistant
Experience:  3 Years experience as veterinary assistant

My dogs right rear leg is swollen at the knee and she is ...

Customer Question

My dogs right rear leg is swollen at the knee and she is not putting weight on it. What can I do for her or give her to help? The vet is unavailable until Monday. The swelling is just at and below her knee joint
Category: Dog
Expert:  Roxie replied 8 years ago.
The heat and ice therapy is very good, you could also give her an adult strength aspirin, preferably the coated type (such as Ascriptin), this will aid in the pain and swelling, until you get her to your vet. Active dogs are as prone to sprains and breaks, just like we are, and unlike us, it does take a lot of pain for them to whine or show you that they are in pain. I would try to keep her as quiet as possible, to avoid further injury to the area, until the vet gets an x-ray. If you choose my answer, please click ACCEPT, and I do welcome all feedback, Thank You, XXXXX XXXXX wish you and your dog the best! Thank You, Roxie