NancyH
NancyH, Dog Expert:Rescue, Train,Breed,Care
Experience:  30+ yrs dog home vet care & nursing, rescue, behavior&training, responsible show breeding, genetics
127115

my dog is in labor and she has 2 fluid sacks hanging out what do i do

Customer Question

No Comment Added
Category: Dog
Expert:  Lori replied 8 years ago.

How long has she been in labor?

Is she actively pushing? If yes, how long has the pushing been going on?

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Lori's Post: in ten minutes it will be an hour.

she trying to push, 35 or 40 minutes
Expert:  NancyH replied 8 years ago.
It seems like Lori has gone offline so as this an emergency sitution I'll see if I can help you.
When you see two sacks it means there are two pups trying to come down the birth canal at the same time.
There is something you can try at home to see if you can get one pup to pull back from trying to arrive at the same time as the other but it can be tricky.
You can lay the mom on your lap on her back with her head towards your knees and slowly lower your legs while holding her securely so that she is at an angle less than 45 degrees and see if one sack pulls back. If not you can slowly and gently roll her to one side or the other shifting her whole body including the hips a little at a time and rocking her to try and get one pup to pull back up away from the birth canal.
If one sack pulls back up you can then put her carefully back down on her side in the whelping area to hopefully deliver.
All that may or may not work to allow her to deliver the pups.
At this point the pups are all at risk as is she. Your best option may be to head to a vet for a c-section to save as many as possible of the pups and the mom too as trying to deliver pups that can't be delivered can weaken the mother badly.
You would not want the vet to use a pitocin shot or oxytocin without first having an x-ray done to see what position the pups are in.
The vet may be able to help manupulate pups to get natural delivery going.
Hope this helps you!